Read and Write access for FinderSync extension in a sandboxed environment

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP



Read and Write access for FinderSync extension in a sandboxed environment



The scenario



The user right-clicks a directory in Finder and finds a custom MenuItem. Clicking that Item will tell my app to open up a window where the user can do his work. When he is finished files need to be written to to the folder he selected by right-clicking.



The Problem



I got everything to work now, but the very last part. The extension can't write to the selected folder.



The user selecting the folder he wants to interact with seems to not be part of the Powerbox which - how I understand it - is only activated with openPanel and savePanel. How do I get the rights to interact with the folder that the user selected through my menu item? I can't find a reference to any possible solution to that problem in the developer library. Not in the sandboxing guide not in the extensions guide.


openPanel


savePanel



The possibility to add custom menu items would be rather useless if there was no way to use the selected files and folders so I'm sure there must be a way for accessing them.



Maybe the way I'm trying to write is wrong. My main app writes a temporary file into a shared group folder. After that it sends a notification that the extension listens to:


func copyFile(notification:NSNotification)

NSLog("write file")

if let target = tmpTarget
NSDirectoryEnumerationOptions.SkipsSubdirectoryDescendants , error: nil)

for content in contents as! [NSURL]

NSLog("tmp data: (content.path!)")
if content.lastPathComponent!.stringByDeletingPathExtension == "SharedData"

NSLog("found shared file")

NSFileManager.defaultManager().copyItemAtURL(content, toURL: target.URLByAppendingPathComponent(content.lastPathComponent!), error: nil)

NSFileManager.defaultManager().removeItemAtURL(content, error: nil)


tmpTarget = nil




The attempt to write the file results in these console notifications:



Any ideas how to get access to user selected folders are appreciated.



Update



I just reassured that I did no mistakes in any way. While I'm allowed to access folders via the NSOpenPanel (which means entitlements should be right) I can not create folders in / or even bookmark the target url of my default FIFinderSyncController.


NSOpenPanel


FIFinderSyncController




2 Answers
2



You should be able to write to the selected file if you grant the entitlement: com.apple.security.files.user-selected.read-write





Thank you for your reply and yes I also think that this I should get read and write access with this entitlement. But I don't. I didn't mention this in my post but this is exactly what I've tried but I could not read or write any files. Apple's sandboxing documentation only states that you can read/write files with this entitlement, when the user selected the file in an NSOpenPanel. I already tested file access with an open panel and it worked so there should be no problems with my entitlement settings
– Enie
May 23 '15 at 16:29






Ah, in that case, you might need to use a temporary entitlement like com.apple.security.temporary-exception.files.home-relative-path.read-write. However, your app might be rejected if you submit it to the App Store.
– dejuknow
May 25 '15 at 21:21






Thank you for that advice. For now I can write files where the user wanted me to write them. As suggested in the temporary entitlement docs I'll post a bug report that it should be possible to get access to the user selected folder. I'll write another comment as soon as I know if Apple rejected the app because of that or not.
– Enie
May 27 '15 at 8:11





@Enie did you post bug report on apple about temporary entitlement? I getting same issue with Finder sync extension. Did you get any solution ?
– Swapnil Tandel
Aug 30 '17 at 7:33





@SwapnilTandel yes I wrote a bug Report but I have not heard anything from apple for 2 years now. Bug Report
– Enie
Aug 30 '17 at 7:45




Even though the Finder Sync App Extension is granted "User Selected File" Sandbox File Access, the selectedItemURLs() files accessed by the user via Finder Sync App Extension right-click seemingly do not count as being "user-selected". The sandbox thus denies your Finder Sync app access to those files.


selectedItemURLs()



As the other answer notes, the only way around this is to use a temporary entitlement for wider file access. Or to use a Powerbox NSOpenPanel to have the user select a containing folder, and use that security-scoped bookmark to access the sandboxed files.


NSOpenPanel



Please duplicate my Apple bug report requesting this behavior be allowed:



Finder Sync App Extension selectedItemURLs() should receive "User Selected File" Sandbox file access.


selectedItemURLs()



rdar://42874694
https://openradar.appspot.com/radar?id=5063363058991104






By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Popular posts from this blog

Firebase Auth - with Email and Password - Check user already registered

Dynamically update html content plain JS

How to determine optimal route across keyboard