Calculating Fisher Information for Bernoulli rv

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP



Calculating Fisher Information for Bernoulli rv



Let $X_1,...,X_n$ be Bernoulli distributed with unknown parameter $p$.



My objective is to calculate the information contained in the first observation of the sample.



I know that the pdf of $X$ is given by $$f(xmid p)=p^x(1-p)^1-x$$, and my book defines the Fisher information about $p$ as



$$I_X(p)=E_pleft[left(fracddplogleft(p^x(1-p)^1-xright)right)^2right]$$



After some calculations, I arrive at



$$I_X(p)=E_pleft[fracx^2p^2right]-2E_pleft[fracx(1-x)p(1-p)right]+E_pleft[frac(1-x)^2(1-p)^2right]$$



I know that the Fisher information about $p$ of a Bernoulli RV is $frac1p(1-p)$, but I don't know how to get rid of the X-values, since I'm calculating an expectation with respect to $p$, not $X$. Any clues?





$+1$ for showing your work to derive the correct $I_X(p)$
– Ahmad Bazzi
4 hours ago





2 Answers
2



beginequation
I_X(p)=E_p left[fracx^2p^2right]-2E_p left[ fracx - x^2p(1-p) right] + E_p left[ fracx^2 - 2x + 1(1-p)^2right] tag1
endequation
For a Bernoulli RV, we know
beginalign
E(x) &= 0(Pr(X = 0)) + 1(Pr(X = 1)) = p\
E(x^2) &= 0^2(Pr(X = 0)) + 1^2(Pr(X = 1)) = p
endalign
Now, replace in $(1)$, we get
beginequation
I_X(p)=fracpp^2-2frac0-0p(1-p)+fracp-2p+1(1-p)^2
=
frac1p-fracp-1(1-p)^2
=
frac1p
-
frac1p-1
=
frac1p(p-1)
endequation





thanks @MichaelHardy
– Ahmad Bazzi
2 hours ago





I always thought that when an expectation is written as $E_p$, for example, it means we treat the other variables (not p) as constants. Apparently not?
– DavidS
2 hours ago





Yes i understand what you mean. I usually do not write $E_p()$. I write $E_X vert p()$, where the expectation is taken with respect to the samples given the parameters you want to estimate, i.e.
– Ahmad Bazzi
2 hours ago






The expectation is taken with respect to any random variable (whether is $X$, $Y$ or whatever other r.v. $E_p$ only intends to remark the fact that your model for the distribution of $X$ is not fully specified, but it is uncertain up to a parameter $p$, and thus the corresponding expectations taken may depend on that value $p$.
– Alejandro Nasif Salum
2 hours ago





Also, if you put $I_X$, then it is the information of the random variable $X$ which has to be calculated, and so the formula should be in terms of $X$, not $x$. Otherwise, you're finding $I_x$.
– Alejandro Nasif Salum
1 hour ago




Actually, the Fisher information of $X$ about $p$ is
$$I_X(p)=E_pleft[left(fracddplog f(X|p)right)^2right],$$
that is
$$I_X(p)=E_pleft[left(fracddplogleft(p^X(1-p)^1-Xright)right)^2right].$$



I've only changed every $x$ by $X$, which may seem as a subtlety, but then you get
$$I_X(p)=E_pleft(fracX^2p^2right)-2E_pleft(fracX(1-X)p(1-p)right)+E_pleft(frac(1-X)^2(1-p)^2right).$$



The expectation is there for the fact that $X$ is a random variable. So, for instance:
$$E_pleft(fracX^2p^2right)=fracE_pleft(X^2right)p^2=fracpp^2=frac1p.$$



Here I used the fact that $E_p(X^2)=p$, which can easily be seen as
$$E_p(X^2)=0^2cdot p_X(0)+1^2cdot p_X(1)=0^2(1-p)+1^2p=p,$$
or by the observation that $Xsim Be(p)implies X^nsim Be(p)$ as well. Then you can go on with the remaining terms.



Additionally, an equivalent formula can be proved for $I_X(p)$ given the second derivative of $log f$ is well defined. This is
$$I_X(p)=-E_pleft(fracd^2dp^2log f(X|p)right),$$
and many times you'll get simpler expressions. In this case, for instance, you get
$$I_X(p)=-E_pleft(fracd^2dp^2log p^X(1-p)^1-Xright)=$$
$$=-E_pleft(-frac Xp^2-frac1-X(1-p)^2right)=frac E_p(X)p^2+fracE_p(1-X)(1-p)^2=$$
$$=frac pp^2+frac1-p(1-p)^2=frac 1p+frac 11-p=frac 1p(1-p),$$
as desired.






By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Popular posts from this blog

Firebase Auth - with Email and Password - Check user already registered

Dynamically update html content plain JS

How to determine optimal route across keyboard