Column index to number

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP



Column index to number



I get alot of raw data from querys into excel, and when preforming VLOOKUP's sometimes I have to count or calculate by hand what column I am going to refer to.



What I want to do now is a calculator were I type in userform textbox ex: "M", and the other textbox will show the correct column number for "M" (13).



My userform looks like this: https://ibb.co/iug3WU



So far I have only come up with something like the code below, I dim every letter as an integer and when that is typed in to the textbox it will just add each others values.



But I am stuck and dont know how to code the CommandButton1_click "Räkna".



Best regards


Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()

'how do i transform letters into numbers here?


End Sub

Sub raknare()

Dim a As Integer
Dim b As Integer
Dim c As Integer
Dim d As Integer
Dim e As Integer
Dim f As Integer
Dim g As Integer
Dim h As Integer
Dim i As Integer
Dim j As Integer
Dim k As Integer
Dim l As Integer
Dim m As Integer
Dim n As Integer
Dim o As Integer
Dim p As Integer
Dim q As Integer
Dim r As Integer
Dim s As Integer
Dim t As Integer
Dim u As Integer
Dim v As Integer
Dim w As Integer
Dim x As Integer
Dim y As Integer
Dim z As Integer

Set a = 1
Set b = 2
Set c = 3
Set d = 4
Set e = 5
Set f = 6
Set g = 7
Set h = 8
Set i = 9
Set j = 10
Set k = 11
Set l = 12
Set m = 13
Set n = 14
Set o = 15
Set p = 16
Set q = 17
Set r = 18
Set s = 19
Set t = 20
Set u = 21
Set v = 22
Set w = 23
Set x = 24
Set y = 25
Set z = 26

End Sub




2 Answers
2



To get info from a dialogue to a variable, you'd do something like


Dim v As Variant
v = Application.InputBox(Prompt:="Letter: ", Title:="Letter", Type:=2)
If CBool(v) Then ' The inputbox returns "false" if cancel is pressed
...
EndIf



If you want to use a userform instead, you'd do something like


Dim s As String
s = UserForm1.TextBox1.Text



To get the column number from its name, you can either do something like what's described in this answer.



Or do what I've done in my office, and do the arithmetic yourself:



enter image description here





Haha, I love the picture and I sort of using that technique at the moment. My problem starts when i have up to BR in columns of data and have to calculate by hand and sometimes i get it wrong. I just want to simplify by adding a userform that does it all for me! But give me a few mins and i will try your code, thanks for the answere!
– Sam
Aug 10 at 9:20





@sam looking at that answer i linked may be of some help to you too.
– eirikdaude
Aug 10 at 9:48





Its not quite the code I was looking for, since i want to code this in userform textboxes.
– Sam
Aug 10 at 10:31





@sam Instead of using debug.print, you can use e.g. UserForm1.TextBox2 = Range(ColName & 1).Column
– eirikdaude
Aug 10 at 12:47


debug.print


UserForm1.TextBox2 = Range(ColName & 1).Column





@sam The main diffifculty I can think of will be validating that the contents of textbox1 will always be a valid columnname... Of course, if it is only you who will be using the tool, such validation may not be necessary.
– eirikdaude
Aug 10 at 12:48



I solved my problem! But not the way I initially intended. I took some old code i had from a previous project and made it work on this issue to.



I made a sheet called "DATA" and inserted column A with the alphabet A to CW, and next to that i have the corresponding number for each letter 1-100.



Then i made a search function that looks like this:


Sub rakna()

Dim rSearch As Range
Dim rFound As Range

With Sheets("DATA")
Set rSearch = .Range("A1", .Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))

Set rFound = rSearch.Find(What:=TextBox1.Text, LookIn:=xlValues)

If rFound Is Nothing Then
TextBox2.Value = ""
Else
TextBox2.Value = rFound.Offset(0, 1).Value


End If
End With


End Sub



Now I dont need to calculate the columns no more I can just type the one I need in my textbox!






By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Popular posts from this blog

Firebase Auth - with Email and Password - Check user already registered

Dynamically update html content plain JS

How to determine optimal route across keyboard