Excel VlookUp left cell into VBA from another workbook

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP



Excel VlookUp left cell into VBA from another workbook



Hi everybody, my VLookUp function is working so far, now I would like to convert it into a VBA function.



My VLookUp:


=VLOOKUP(A6;'[test.xls]Sheet1'!$A:$B;2;0) 'example for Cell A6, which can vary



Now I would like to get this into a VBA function which can be called.
So if the function is called "A6" sould be "overwriten" by the left cell of where the function has been called.



I have tried following code:


Sub lookup()
Dim x1 As String
x1 = ActiveCell.Offset(0, -1).Select
VLOOKUP(x1,'[test.xls]Sheet1'!$A:$B;2;0)
End Sub



What is necessary that it's working as expected?



I'm grateful for any tips.



Sorry, mabye it wasn't clear. "test.xls" is another workbook. The code should run inside the file called (e.g.) "missing.xls".





The range you want to do VLookUp on, is it in the same workbook or a different workbook? from your example, it looks like your range is in test.xls workbook, which may or may not be the same workbook?
– Zac
Aug 8 at 11:37


VLookUp


test.xls





Oh sorry, it's a different workbook with the name "test.xls" and the other workbook is called "missing.xls" in which I would like to run the code.
– L.Writer
Aug 8 at 13:10




2 Answers
2



There are two methods.



method 1: using .formula


.formula


sub method1()
dim x1 as range

set x1 = ActiveCell.Offset(0, -1)
x1.formula = "=VLOOKUP(A6,'[test.xls]Sheet1'!$A:$B,2,0)"
end sub



method 2: using .value


.value


sub method2()
dim x1 as range

set x1 = activecell.offset(0, -1)
x1.value = application.vlookup(range("A6").value, workbooks("test.xls").worksheets("Sheet1").range("A:B"),2,0)
end sub





Almost as the solution from zipa... But with your examples I got just "syntax error", when I try to call the function. Any ideas? Thanks.
– L.Writer
Aug 8 at 11:29





@L.Writer which method? I just remove .select from my answer. Please try again.
– PaichengWu
Aug 8 at 12:10



.select





I have tried again, but I still receive the syntax error if I try to call the function inside a cell.. :/
– L.Writer
Aug 9 at 4:36





@L.Writer Which method and which line?
– PaichengWu
Aug 9 at 4:49





Both methods, by debugging I don't get any error messages. Just if I try to call the function in a cell I'm receiving the syntax error. Trying to call the methods like this: =method1()
– L.Writer
Aug 9 at 4:51


=method1()



This one should do it:


Function MyLookup()

Dim source As Workbook

Dim current As Range

Set current = Application.Caller
Set source = Workbooks("test.xls")

MyLookup = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(current.Offset(0, -1).Value, source.Sheets(1).Range("A:B"), 2, False)

End Function



So Application.Caller gets the cell where the function is located and from there you can perform VLOOKUP() with Offset from that cell.


Application.Caller


VLOOKUP()


Offset



EDIT



For this lookup to work test.xls needs to be open.


test.xls





Thanks in advance for the code, it seems that I can't figure out how to call the function (MyLookup). I have created a module (seems to be needed) and pasted the code inside this module, but when I enter inside (e.g.) "B7" =MyLookup() I got just "#VALUE!" - sorry, I'm very newbie with VBA :3
– L.Writer
Aug 8 at 11:26



=MyLookup()





You are looking in B7 in which sheet? This performs lookup from Sheet1!A:B so your B7 is within that same range if you are trying in Sheet1.
– zipa
Aug 8 at 11:40


B7


Sheet1!A:B


B7


Sheet1





I would like to call the function in B7 and then the value from A7 should be searched in another workbook called "test.xls".
– L.Writer
Aug 8 at 13:38





@L.Writer Please see the edit.
– zipa
Aug 8 at 15:29





Thanks for the update, but unfortunately it's still not working for me (same behaviour). By debugging the code I'm receiving following message: "runtime error "424": Object required" - do you may have an idea how to solve?
– L.Writer
Aug 9 at 4:34






By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Popular posts from this blog

Firebase Auth - with Email and Password - Check user already registered

Dynamically update html content plain JS

How to determine optimal route across keyboard