Rails: Trying to add search function - keep getting “no route matches”

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP



Rails: Trying to add search function - keep getting “no route matches”



I'm trying to implement a simple search function for my Rails app by following this guide. I am trying to allow users to search for animal by name.



Here's my current code:



controllers/animals_controller.rb


class AnimalsController < ApplicationController
def search
@animal = Animal.search(params[:search])
end
end



Here's my views/animals/index.html.erb


<%= form_tag :controller => 'animals', :action => 'search', :method => 'get' do %>
<%= text_field_tag :search, params[:search], :id => 'search_field' %>
<%= submit_tag "Search", :name => nil %>
<% end %>



And here is the error I keep getting:



No route matches :action=>"search", :controller=>"animals",
:method=>"get"



I don't understand why this isn't working. I have the search function defined in the animal_controller.rb. Can anyone point out why the search function may not be working?





Did you define the route in your routes.rb file? You should probably add the routes.rb file content to your question.
– jvillian
Aug 7 at 23:05


routes.rb


routes.rb





I tried adding get ‘animals/search’, to: ‘animals#search’, but that isn't working either.
– Leia_Organa
Aug 7 at 23:26





You should really add your routes.rb to your question. And, run rake routes in your console to see what you have defined.
– jvillian
Aug 7 at 23:31


routes.rb


rake routes




1 Answer
1



Based on the guide you are following, creating a GET /search route was never mentioned. You can define the route in config/route.rb with this


GET /search


config/route.rb


resources :animals do
get :search
end



or


get search: "animals#search"





Don't assume that OP hasn't defined a route for the request unless we know how the routes.rb looks.
– Jagdeep Singh
Aug 8 at 7:19





Yes. You are right. I updated my answer. Thanks. I don't have enough reputation to clarify posts yet. So I based it on the given guide and error message.
– neume
Aug 8 at 8:24






By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Popular posts from this blog

Firebase Auth - with Email and Password - Check user already registered

Dynamically update html content plain JS

How to determine optimal route across keyboard