Ctrl + Space not working for content assist on eclipse

The name of the pictureThe name of the pictureThe name of the pictureClash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP



Ctrl + Space not working for content assist on eclipse



My problem is that the content assist window won't pop up after clicking Ctrl + Space. I checked my shortcuts and the content assist is bound to Ctrl + Space. Sometimes the window automatically pops up making suggestion after typing dot e.g., but this won't happen when using the keys combination.


Ctrl + Space


Ctrl + Space



Eclipse version:



Eclipse Java EE IDE for Web Developers.



Version: Kepler Service Release 1 Build id: 20130919-0819



My OS is Ubuntu 12.04 if that matters.





What development environment are you in? Java, CDT, PyDev?
– aruisdante
Jun 2 '14 at 3:02





possible duplicate of Ctrl Space Not Working in Eclipse Helios on Win 7
– aruisdante
Jun 2 '14 at 3:03





Also could be a duplicate of this: stackoverflow.com/questions/17358312/…
– aruisdante
Jun 2 '14 at 3:04




9 Answers
9



I managed to fix it finally. The problem was that the ibus was overriding the shortcut so I deleted this shortcut configuration.



Type ibus in the dash:
Search for ibus



Then select Keyboard Input Methods. From there click on the first three dots next to the Enable or disable textfield. This windows should appear: Shortcuts



If there is something bound to Ctrl + Space simply delete it.





I can confirm this fixed the same problem with a combination of Xubuntu 14.04 and Eclipse Luna 4.4.1. Very grateful, Ivaylo Toskov!
– sharky
Dec 12 '14 at 1:40





Thankyou ! This was driving me crazy !
– Nicholas
Feb 15 '15 at 20:50





Thanks! This is exactly what caused my problem in XFCE. Just FYI The same dialog can be displayed by typing ibus-setup in terminal (source: nixnote.blogspot.de/2012/08/…)
– oᴉɹǝɥɔ
Jul 6 '15 at 20:32



ibus-setup



In my case;
Window>Preferences>Java>Editor>Content Assist>Advanced



Make sure Select the proposal>Template Proposals,SWT Template Proposals,Java Proposals ,Content assist cycling>Template Proposals,SWT Template Proposals,Java Proposals is ticked.





Thanks devcelebi, Its worked
– Dev4World
Mar 14 at 10:12



To enable Ctrl+Space.



1) Go to Control Panel --> Region and Language --> select Keyboard and Languages tab --> Change Keyboard button --> select General tab --> Under Installed Services --> Remove all languages except English(United States). click apply and ok.



2) Eclipse --> Windows --> Preferences --> Java --> Editor --> Content Assist --> Advanced --> select all Java & Java Type Proposals.



3) Eclipse --> Windows --> Preferences --> General keys --> Type Content Assist in right side search box --> Select command Content Assist --> click on Restore To Default --> Apply --> ok



Now you are ready to use ctrl + space feature for content assist.



Earlier I was also facing the same issue : I just followed below steps :



Go to Windows --> Preferences --> Java --> Editor --> Content Assist --> Advanced --> select all Java & Java Type Proposals.



Click on Apply and close it.



enter image description here



It happened to me also,
What I have done is change the workspace folder to
Another folder and problem solved!



This issue happened to me and none of the stack solutions seemed to resolve it. I finally figured that some other windows task was stealing my hotkey press. If nothing else works, I recommend that you downloaded a free software 'Windows Hotkey Explorer' that reported the registered hotkeys.



In my particular situation, I found ctrl+space was seized by 'blackboard collaborate' (a unpalatable java application for webcasts used by some of my courses).



I closed Eclipse killed all java processes (which included blackboard). Restarted eclipse and my autocomplete was back!



(Note: Hotkey Explorer was incredibly buggy and crashed every time I used it. I was able to get the information I needed before it crashed though so it was useful. Another (shareware) application that I didn't use but noticed online is: Hotkey Commander.



Though I have eclipse proposal settings configured properly it was not working for me. In my case Ctrl+space key combination was hijacked by another background running process(I was running AllwaysOnTop utility for windows). it worked after exit that process. :)



Ctrl+space was not working in my eclipse.Somehow it got disabled.



I have tried many options and didnt worked any options.



Finally this was work out



Go to Preferences > Java > Editor > Content Assist > The "Auto activation triggers for Java:" field.
Paste "ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz." (note the dot after z) .This is the best solution and no need to even press ctrl+space.



Go to Windows > Preferences > Java > Editor > Content Assist > Advanced > select all Java only. If you select all, then multiple occurrence of same instance would be shown in Suggestion list. which might be annoying some times.



enter image description here






By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Popular posts from this blog

Firebase Auth - with Email and Password - Check user already registered

Dynamically update html content plain JS

How to determine optimal route across keyboard