How to play Famitracker (.ftm) files in Java without .wav conversion?

Clash Royale CLAN TAG#URR8PPP
How to play Famitracker (.ftm) files in Java without .wav conversion?
Please note: I do not want to convert the .ftm files to .wav. I wish to create a simple .ftm file creator that doesn't rely on constant conversions between .wav and .ftm.
From what I've been able to gather on this topic, I will need to create a program to read .ftm files into a MIDI-like system. My problem with this is that I want to create .ftm files and have them sound like .ftm files in Java.
1 Answer
1
Based on a cursory search it doesn't look like anyone has written any FTM format parser/generator for Java. So as far as I can tell nothing off the shelf will help you dynamically convert .ftm to something suitable to pump to the sound card.
The format itself seems to be pretty well documented but it looks like you'll need to write your own interface to the format.
The trickiest bit of writing your own is going to be emulating the different supported sound hardware. Some of the hardware is sample-based, meaning in order to create correct-sounding output you need to have a collection of the samples ahead of time.
It does look like FamiTracker is open source. It may be worth going through the source code to see if the parts you're interested in are adaptable to your project.
By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.